Greetings one again from the Southeast Asia Field!
It is Tuesday morning in West Chester, Ohio. Rachel and I are finishing up the last few days of a short furlough this summer and will be heading back to Bangkok soon. We have procrastinated long enough in getting out our next newsletter to you. So, since we are staying at the home of our newsletter publishers, we have been reminded again that this needs to be finished before we return to Thailand.
These are exciting and fast-changing days on the Southeast Field. Since we last wrote to you, district assemblies with Dr. & Mrs. Jerry Porter have come and gone. Good, steady growth is taking place throughout most of the field. Now we are beginning our plans for our upcoming assemblies with Dr. & Mrs. Talmadge Johnson this January. And the cycle of growth, reporting and the family getting together at the annual district assembly continues.
Our field hosted our Asia-Pacific Regional Conference in Bangkok last October. More then 300 delegates attended, with a variety of workshops and plenary sessions. Then we traveled to Phonom Penh , Cambodia to help our new missionaries Rolf & Debbie Kleinfeld settle in as co-workers with Ratlief & Susan Ung. Rolf & Debbie are presently in Khmer language study and doing well in their first term of service. Cambodia continues to grow as new churches are planted and new members are added. We have been privileged to have several Nazarenes in Volunteer Service (NIVS) on our field in recent months. Belinda Allder from Australia served in our Maetang Tribal Children's Home for a year before returning to Australia to finish up her Bible college degree. Belinda just returned with a Youth in Mission Team from Australia this past July and is now staying on the field as a regional missionary.
While Belinda was home, Phil & Denise Anderson (along with Makenzie and Morgyn) served at Maetang. Upon their return home, John & Marlene Custer arrived to continue at Maetang. In addition, Brandon Lewis and Jacob Page took their first years after graduating from Southern Nazarene University and worked as volunteers in Bangkok. Brandon and Jacob are now home but Eilene Graham and Virginia Hoover arrive this month for volunteer ministry in the Thai capital. We have been kept busy, but we have been blessed by so many who have come over to help!
Last March the Yangon (Myanmar) Extension Center of Southeast Asia Nazarene Bible College held its first graduation exercises. Dr. Floyd Cunningham, Asia-Pacific Regional Education Coordinator delivered the graduation address. Sixteen young men and women received their B. Th. degrees.
There is much more to say, but not enough room to tell it all. We will try to keep you updated more often in the future. Thanks for your love and prayers. You are partners with us and we appreciate you all so very, very much!
- Mike & Rachel McCarty
Field Director Flex Furlough
The McCartys will be home again in 2005, beginning with the General Assembly in Indianapolis and continuing through September. Some of these dates are filled, but much is still available. If you are interested, drop us a note. Maybe we can come to your church and share first hand what God is doing on the Southeast Asia Field.
Special Field Projects
1. Rebuilding of Yangon, Myanmar (Burma) First Church - $25,000
2. Completion of pastoral
training center building in Maetang Thailand - $15,000
Join Us in Prayer for:
1. District assemblies in January 2005 with Dr. & Mrs. Talmadge Johnson.
2. Special direction concerning our national leader in CAN #3.
3. Open doors for beginning of our work in CAN #1
4. Strategic decisions to be made at our Field Conference in February 2005.
5. Healing & protection for our missionaries and national leaders throughout the field.
6. Development of SEANBC centers and new students.
7. Continued guidance and protection for our Missionary Kids.
- Work &Witness Team from Richmond, VA at Maetang Tribal Children's Home, Maetang, Thailand - 21 September - 2 October.
- Thailand National Board Meeting - 5 November.
- Work & Witness Team from Wooster, OH at Huey Euh Village, Thailand - 30 December - 14 January
- District assemblies with Dr. & Mrs. Talmadge Johnson and Dr. & Mrs. Brent Cobb - Myanmar (January 16), Northern Thailand (January 18), Thailand (January 19), Cambodia (January 20).
- Work & Witness Team from Beavercreek, OH at Banmai Chokedee Village, Thailand - 5-19 February.
- Southeast Asia Field Conference in Thailand - 23-27 February.
- All Thailand Pastors & Wives Family Camp - 2-5 May, 2005.